Girl Scouts San Diego serves 22,500 girls and 12,700 adults. Girl Scouts is the world’s preeminent leadership development organization for girls, building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
Girl Scouts San Diego is looking for an experienced, self-motivated and career-minded sales professional with previous Salesforce or similar software/system experience.
We are currently seeking a self-motivated, disciplined, enthusiastic sales professional who has excellent communication skills and can embrace and embody a customer-first mentality.
This role works in partnership with our outside recruitment team, whose responsibility it is to generate and provide qualified leads. The key responsibility for this position (Inside Sales) will be to “close” or convert those qualified leads into registered volunteers and/or members with Girl Scouts San Diego. This role will be primarily interfacing with member parents and potential adult volunteers on the phone and online to “sell” the benefits of joining the Girl Scout movement, thereby increasing our adult and girl members.
This role will also be responsible for contacting existing troop leaders to increase placement and provide additional recruitment materials and resources for leaders to complete their troops. This position will assist the troops in opening up their troops to the opportunity catalog.
The Inside Sales Specialist is responsible for successfully culminating (closing) recruitment efforts by following up on, initiating and pursuing communications strategies and protocols to convert prospective members (volunteers and girls) (leads) into registered members. She/he is responsible for successfully obtaining and growing girl and adult volunteer participation as well as fostering the community partnerships needed to implement Girl Scouting within an assigned area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assists in achieving Girl Scouts San Diego’s membership goals for girl and adult members by implementing membership strategies in assigned areas.
- Assists in designing and implementing a plan for girl and adult membership growth in specific areas by researching market data, membership trends, and other pertinent information relevant to designated geographic areas.
- Supports implementation of membership recruiting and marketing strategies as outlined in Girl Scouts San Diego’s strategic plan, annual tactics and/or other goals.
- Initiates, builds and fosters member relationships primarily through phone and written follow-up contact with prospective members (both girl and adult).
- Develops and updates opportunity catalogue (troops/groups with openings) in Salesforce to streamline girl and adult placement within the organization’s member structure.
- Studies and becomes proficient in girl and adult related trends, multi-cultural data and demographics, effective communication, and marketing techniques in order to effectively implement a membership growth plan.
- Prepares action plans and schedules to identify specific targets and to project the number of contacts to be made in order to meet membership goal. Prepares a variety of status reports, including activity, follow-up, and adherence to goals.
- Utilizes customer relationship management system (CRM system, Salesforce) to support pursuance of leads throughout the recruitment process for completion to close status.
- Supports external recruitment efforts and is able to successfully solidify membership enrollment leads. Follows up on new leads and referrals resulting from recruitment activity in a timely fashion.
- Performs additional duties as assigned to assist in fulfillment of Girl Scouts San Diego’s mission and goals.
- Ensures Girl Scouting is open to all girls and adults by delivering the Girl Scouts message of pluralism and diversity to members of the council.
2. Works interdepartmentally to ensure our goals are met.
- Works with cross-functional team to determine or develop innovative techniques to ensure the effective delivery of recruitment strategies.
- Promotes and assists with our organization wide programs, activities, public relations and fund development endeavors.
Competencies and areas of expertise may include:
- Sales Ambition and Drive – understands the sales process and management of leads. Sets ambitious goals and energetically and confidently drives to achieve those goals. Recognizes opportunities to “close” and has demonstrated ability to ask for the business/customer transaction. A self-starter who can work independently with minimal oversight and take initiative.
- Self-management and Confidence - Assesses own skills and abilities and identifies areas for improvement; willingly accepts constructive feedback; seeks developmental opportunities; sets and achieves goals; works independently. Demonstrated confidence to prepare for conversations and visits with potential members/customers by gathering key information and setting strong objectives to achieve successful outcome.
- Active Listening - Ability to skillfully use a variety of questions and other active listening techniques to promote a robust discussion with members/customers and identify needs.
- Marketing Knowledge – Has demonstrated knowledge of the basic principles of marketing (for example, market identification and segmentation, interpretation and use of market data). Demonstrates comfort in presenting the value behind solutions in a way that resonates with what is most important to the potential members/customers of the organization.
- Oral and Written Communication abilities (i.e. In person, verbal, written, and/or phone); Expresses ideas and facts in a clear and understandable manner appropriate for the individual or group; listens to and comprehends what others are saying; prepares organized and structured presentations; has demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of sensitive and confidential issues and communicate effectively with a diverse group of girls, volunteers, and staff. Ability to project a warm, inviting, and trustworthy telephone image.
- Interpersonal Relations - Establishes rapport with others at all organizational levels; respects others; considers and responds to the needs, feelings, and capabilities of others; establishes and maintains an open dialogue with others; has demonstrated ability to market the Girl Scout value proposition through a variety of communication venues , with particular emphasis on phone and online communications.
- Customer Responsiveness - Seeks and acknowledges the views and ideas from customers (for example, internal and external); identifies, prioritizes, and balances customer issues; takes time to answer questions and explain decisions; follows through on commitments to customers in a timely manner; maintains a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Excellent technical computer skills in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, customer relationship management systems and social networking.
- Judgment and Decision-Making - recognizes when immediate action is required; recognizes when sufficient information has been obtained to make a decision; makes decisions where appropriate or refers decisions to the appropriate organizational level; makes decisions without undue delay
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 1-2 years of related work experience.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, preferred.
- Previous telemarketing or sales background, preferred.
- Previous experience with CRM Software and/or Salesforce, preferred.
- Competitive, self-starter personality with strong drive to achieve/exceed goals, required.
- Individual with comfort, ability and previous experience communicating effectively and successfully with leads via telephone and online, required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as needed, required.
- Position is based out of our San Diego (Balboa) location. However, may work from our other locations as assigned.
- Valid drivers’ license, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation. Daily and/or occasional travel may be required.
- Must have belief in the mission and values of Girl Scouting; be willing to subscribe to the principles expressed in the Promise and Law, and aware of the needs of girls in our pluralistic society.
Office Equipment/ Machines/ Electronic Devices
Personal computer and printers, telephone, fax machine, copier, audiovisual equipment, and other miscellaneous office equipment.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, bend, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, work with fingers, grasp, feel, talk, hear, and perform repetitive motions.
- Ability to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Heavy visual acuity required performing such activities as preparing and analyzing data and figures, using computer terminal and reading.
- Activities occur both inside and outside and employee is subject to both environmental conditions; however, employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.