Girl Scouts San Diego serves 23,000 girls and 12,000 adult members. Girl Scouts is the world’s preeminent leadership development organization for girls, building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
Under the direction of the Director of Property, the Camp Ranger - Winacka provides general maintenance and custodial services for our beautiful mountain camp near Julian California. The Camp Ranger works closely with the Seasonal Camp Directors, volunteers and council staff to ensure that troop, day and resident campers have successful camping experiences. Responsible for the ongoing property maintenance, improvements and the safety and security of Camp Winacka. This position requires the incumbent to reside onsite to provide 24 hour emergency coverage.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and perform routine maintenance and major repairs of council facilities, equipment and property. Keep detailed and accurate records of maintenance activity as well as advise management on the life cycle and repair needs at Camp Wincaka.
- Routinely inspect council properties and facilities for safety hazards, make appropriate reports and take appropriate corrective action as needed.
- Ensure activities on council properties are conducted in a safe, appropriate manner. Interrupt activity conducted in an unsafe manner and take appropriate corrective action.
- Supervise assigned maintenance technicians in the daily performance of duties, and conduct annual personnel evaluations of direct staff.
- Manage annual camp budget, maintain financial records and engage in financial planning.
- Plan, organize and execute volunteer work activity.
- Assist other departments or divisions within the Council and perform maintenance on Council owned property as needed.
- Act as a council liaison with associations, authorities, community partners.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Related technical degree/Journeyman’s Certificate/military training and qualification in the construction trades or structure maintenance.
- Minimum five years field experience in construction or maintenance with at least three years’ experience as a construction or maintenance supervisor, managing maintenance budgets and personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to perform high quality work in the carpentry/electrical/plumbing trades. Preferred candidates will have technical training in one or more of the following: carpentry, electrical, plumbing, maintenance systems involving structures and equipment, heavy equipment operations.
- Preferred candidates will have completed formal leadership training course/s in either an industry or military setting.
- Qualified candidates must have the ability to perform all work demonstrating the following leadership competencies; Adaptability & Flexibility, Integrity and Professional Conduct, Collaboration, Oral and Written Communication abilities, Judgment and Decision-Making, and Organization and Time Management .
- Ability to qualify for and use multiple hand tools, power tools, machinery and equipment, including but not limited to; drills, nailers, welders, chain saws, wood chipper, log splitters, backhoe, loader and other heavy equipment.
- Ability to qualify, operate and maintain well water treatment systems and commercial swimming pool.
- Proficient with MS Word/Excel/Outlook, ability to draft business letters and memoranda, must be able to develop/deliver PowerPoint training materials and have public speaking/presentation skills.
- Valid drivers’ license, proof of insurance and access to reliable transportation. Daily and/or occasional travel may be required.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, bend, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, work with fingers, grasp, feel, speak, hear, and perform repetitive motions.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work exerting up to 75 pounds of force, and/or a moderate amount of force constantly to move objects and/or engage in construction trades.
- Ability to occasionally lift over 50 pounds.
- High visual acuity required performing such activities as preparing and analyzing data and figures, using computer terminal, reading blue prints and schematics.