Girls arrive to camp hungry for new experiences. As a Kitchen Assistant, you will have the responsibility of fueling them with healthy and nutritious meals to keep their energies high to experience all camp has to offer. You are a quick learner and understand how important health and hygiene are in serving meals to our campers. Our staff are energetic, encouraging, and compassionate people who want to ensure the girls receive only the healthiest and most delicious meals during their time at camp.
Girl Scouts San Diego is looking for a dedicated and qualified Kitchen Assistant. Weekend kitchen positions are open for our two resident camps located in Julian, CA. Weekend meals and lodging provided.
Key responsibilities are:
- Assists in routine sanitation of the kitchen and related equipment, including washing all dishes and cleaning and maintaining food preparation and storage areas.
- Performs routine duties, to include but not be limited to, dish washing and kitchen clean-up, plating and portioning food as directed and staffing the service window during meals.
- Helps to prepare and serve all camp meals as directed; assists in preparation of food as menu indicates, including washing, chopping and peeling.
- Assists in the preparation and packaging of food for use outside of the dining hall.
- Ensures awareness, and sensitivity and diligence of food allergies and dietary needs.
- Maintains clear and positive written and verbal communication with all internal and external clients.
- Contributes to the diversity emphasis of the council by ensuring that all materials, activities and programs are sensitive to and reflective of the interest, values and needs of persons of all racial/ethnic groups, cultures, religions and abilities.
- Adheres to all council policies and procedures.
- Observes all safety precautions and complies with all council health and safety rules and procedures.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to obtain Food Handler’s Certificate (training/testing provided at camp).
- At least 18 years of age.
- Ability to take direction and communicate effectively with all levels.
- Ability to interact with all age levels.
- Access to reliable transportation for own transport to camp in Julian, CA.
- Willingness to accept the beliefs and principles of the Girl Scout Movement and acceptance of the relevant and compelling benefits of Girl Scouting.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, bend, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, work with fingers, grasp, feel, talk, hear and perform repetitive motions.
- Ability to perform light work exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects
- Activities occur both inside and outside and employee is subject to both environmental conditions; however, employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
- Standing on feet for prolonged amounts of time.